Zoom Megilla Reading §
See Purim page for more - including costuming & avoda zara!! Note: the permissive links below require live stream, phone, radio, etc.
- R’ Dov Lindzer - Zakhor and Megillah For Those Under Quarantine - Conditionally Permits (Narrow Scope)
- R’ David Golinkin: In Light of the Spread of the Corona Virus, is it Permissible to Listen to the Megillah Reading “Live” via Telephone, Radio, Television or Facebook? - Conditionally Permits (Broader Scope)
- R’ Alan Yuter - Online Megillah and Parshat Zakhor Readings During the Corona Virus Epidemic - Not Permitted
The PROHIBITION (not misvah) to get drunk: §
- H’ Eliyahou Zaini - Getting Drunk on Purim (class by Joey Mosseri)
- R’ Josh Yuter - Drinking on Purim
- R’ Haim Ovadia - Drinking on Purim
Electricity on Shabbat & Yom Tov: A list of sources permitting various usages and applications of electricity on Shabbath & Yom Tov. Some links contain halakhic analysis as well. While we often talk about electricity in a polemical, abstract manner, the reality is Halakha (like any other system of law) deals with specific, concrete questions and situations. To quote H’ Ben-Zion Uziel:
In every generation, conditions of life, changes in values, and technical and scientific discoveries create new questions and problems that require practical solutions. We are not permitted to avert our eyes from these issues and say Torah prohibits anything new, i.e., anything not expressly mentioned by earlier sages is automatically forbidden. We may not simply declare such matters permissible, nor can we let them remain vague and unclear, with each person acting with regard to them as he wishes. Rather, it is our duty to search all the halakhic sources, and based on what they explicate, to derive responses that address current-day issues.
— Hakham Ben-Zion Meir Hai Uziel - Introduction to Mishpetei Uziel, vol. 1.